So I’ve decided that telling myself that it’s lame to make new years resolutions is just another stupid excuse. True, nearly everyone makes new years resolutions, but very few people keep them. In this way I shall remain distinct and un-lame.
Get the podcast off the ground by making it simpler, better quality, and easier to maintain/edit
- One podcast per month
- Each month there is a theme, stories must be written within that month to capitalize on the whole “don’t edit too much” thing.
- Entries are due by the 20th of the month so I have time to edit and record.
- Send entries to email@example.com either as an attachment or in the body of the email.
- The theme for each month will be announced in the podcast as well as on my website.
Why this will work:
- It’s simpler, I had delusions of grandeur about some kind of voting system where listeners could vote on what would be recorded. This was too complex. It may rise again from the ashes but for now we’re going for good old email.
- I have access to excellent recording environs: I work in the media department of a church and they have a studio where they record things for radio broadcast, so it should be good enough for this podcast.
- Another nice thing about this setup is I’ll be forced to just run through it and edit later instead of editing in between takes because the recording gear is in a separate room.
The first theme is
“Dark Lullabies for Strange Children”
I wanted something short and simple and I’ve been on a poetry kick lately so I wanted to flex those muscles. I’m looking for fairly short form pieces. Under 700 words. You definitely don’t have to do poetry, but if you do, bonus points for rhyme, meter and form.
I won’t elaborate too much on the theme because I want to leave your options open but the “for strange children” bit means that I’d prefer something which could conceivably be read to a young person. I don’t mind if it’s disturbing, but I’d prefer if it wasn’t profane. I am recording this in a church after all.
Entries are due on January 20th, 2010. Good luck